Should be doing reading for Urban Policy in the Global South but instead wanted to post a link to a very odd opinion article posted on the Washington Post by Bill Donohue, the President of the Catholic League. The article's main points (you can read the whole article here) essentially is that liberal and secular people are ruining the country by promoting radical agendas. Agendas such as civil rights... Catholics, Donohue argues are no longer welcome in the Democratic party for example because the party has instead embraced the gay agenda. In the comments section below there is an option to "Report Offensive Comment" made by one of the commentators but I'm left wishing you could report the piece itself as offensive.
Here's a brief snippet of the best bit "The culture war is up for grabs. The good news is that religious conservatives continue to breed like rabbits, while secular saboteurs have shut down: they're too busy walking their dogs, going to bathhouses and aborting their kids. Time, it seems, is on the side of the angels."
I realize that this is just an opinion article and doesn't neccesarily reflect the views of the WaPo but has anyone else noticed the editorial shift over the past decade or so at the WaPo to the right?
Perhaps more importantly, does Donohue represent the views of all (or even most) Catholics? I should think not but it is disturbing that he is the head of an organization that millions of Catholics belong to. Sounds like it's time for some introspective discussion within the Catholic Church in America: should they choose to continue this demagoguery of hate as embodied by Donohue or will they opt to join the trend over the past half century and move towards creating a more inclusive and diverse society. A more perfect union if you will.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, that article was disgusting! Yeah, it's pretty horrible to be promoting equal rights for gay people or suggesting that maybe Western, Christian culture isn't superior to all others and it might be a good thing to actually learn about and embrace other cultures! Donahue is an angry, angry man. I'm totally creeped out by his "we don't have to defeat your ideas, we'll just out breed you!" attitude (I know I am totally spending all my time at the gay bathhouses that went out of fashion in the 70s and then getting knocked up just so I can have abortions! Man I love abortions). You're right, it's sickening that he's the president of a large Catholic organization - while if you look at the poll numbers, most American Catholics ARE fairly liberal, it's fucked up that he's still looked at as a representative of American Catholicism.
ReplyDelete