11 April 2010

Sermonizing

Not sure if everyone has heard the story of this 18 year old lesbian high schooler in Mississippi named Constance McMillen. Well, she wanted to take a female date to the prom and was denied. The ACLU took up her case and a court sided with her that her rights had been trampled however the high school responded by simply canceling the prom for all rather than comply. The students in the town subsequently held their own private prom while Constance and the school's learning disabled students were invited to a separate event organized by the town. The evidence seems to confirm that Constance and the disabled students were deliberately deceived.

The parallels between this and a historical event of significance are striking. In 1965, the students at an Alabama high school pulled a similar trick on a black student, lying to her about the location of the prom. I think this demonstrates the universality that civil rights issues hold. Hate and discrimination take many shapes but at their core they are always the same, based on fear and loathing of things that are different. That's my sermon for the month. Next month, I'll address the opinion of Tea-Baggers that the US Census is a vast conspiracy for Obama to control your life!

2 comments:

  1. Not only that - her schoolmates started a facebook group - "Constance quit yer cryin". Fortunately, it was taken over by her supporters. Don't mess with the gays.

    Hope you're doing well.

    Saul

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was appalled when I heard about this. It's especially disturbing considering how it appeared she had successfully fought for her rights and there might actually be a happy ending. I don't understand how the kids of that school, the people of that town can live with themselves after pulling something like this..

    ReplyDelete