02 April 2010

Two Unrelated Events

I've mentioned it before, but London really has made me into a less caring individual when it comes to strangers. Walking down the street people seem entirely concerned only with themselves and interactions don't tend to be pleasant with people you don't know. Often I don't hold the door open anymore because no one says thank you and it's rare that anyone does the same for me - bad reasons I know but the attitude is infectious. To highlight this point, the other day I held a door open for an elderly woman. She turned to me and, looking positively stunned, said "Oh, thank you sooo much!" Seems a bit sad that a common act of decency is so rare here as to warrant that response.


The second event is far funnier:
I'm reading the "Metro" (one of several free daily newspapers here)
My friend Raph: "You read that trash?"
Me: "Yeah... why? What do you mean?"
Raph: "That newspaper is all about ridiculous stories, not actual news. It's like the National Enquirer"
Me: "No way, it's no where near as bad as that. The stories are at least true"
Raph: "The Metro's headline yesterday was 'A Fox stole my baby'"

Point to Raph

No comments:

Post a Comment